Monday, April 9, 2012

Karlovy Vary is the Right Medicine


Just a short drive from Prague in the Czech Republic is the
quaint and beautiful town of Karlovy Vary.

A picturesque town situated in the western part of Czech Republic,
Karlovy Vary is a famous spa destination in Europe.

It was founded in the 14th century and the discovery of its
natural thermal springs made it the favor of many noble families
and wealthy townsmen by the 16th century.

I discovered Karlovy Vary on a trip to Prague.  I loved Prague
so much and couldn't imagine leaving it but I was thrilled
to happen upon this beautiful town.


If you ever watched the movie from 2006  called "Last Holiday"
starring Queen Latifah and LL Cool J, then you might
recognize this lobby.


"Last Holiday" is a cute comedy about a woman who is accidentally
told that she is about to die in a few months so she cashes
in her savings and decides to live life to the fullest. She ends up
at Grandhotel Pupp in Karlovy Vary.

I totally thought it was a made-up name for the movie as "Pupp" is pronounced
"Poop", but that is actually its name.  And, it is such a gorgeous hotel!  Even before I started
 sipping on those thermal springs, I was experiencing a dramatic improvement in my well
being the moment I walked into their lobby!


It is a 228-room luxury hotel that is located within walking
distance to great shopping and restaurants.  That is, if you
are inclined to leave the hotel in the first place!  With their
luxurious spa, fine dining and beautifully appointed rooms,
you might not want to venture out!  This renaissance
hotel has been making people happy since 1701.
Grandhotel Pupp hosts the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival each year.
It is also a popular setting for making films.  When I was there they were filming
 a movie and apparently I had just missed Morgan Freeman's visit to the hotel during
another making of a movie.  The 3' by 4' photo of him in the dining room lead me
to believe that the folks at the hotel fell in love with him like we all do back here!
(Never was able to find out why he has four legs in this photo!  Any movie buffs out
there that know which character he played that had four legs might want to clue me in!)

While walking through Karlovy Vary, you will find
outdoor hallways like these with fountains with the thermal
spring water for you to drink.
For three centuries, people have flocked to this area
to be healed.  I don't know if I felt better because I
drank from these fountains, or if I just felt better
because I was in this beautiful town!

Maybe he didn't drink enough of that thermal water??

Quaint restaurants and shops adorn the town.

Karlovy Vary is well with my soul!


WISHING YOU ALL THINGS WELL!

TRAVEL M GIRL

No comments:

Post a Comment